Thank you for contacting Neurocrine Biosciences with your unsolicited Medical Information request regarding the abnormal involuntary movement scale (AIMS) assessment tool.
The AIMS is an assessment tool developed by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) to determine severity of involuntary movements in a variety of conditions, including tardive dyskinesia (TD). It is also being used to assess patient response to treatment.1-3
The AIMS is a 12-item clinician-rated, non-linear scale often used as a surveillance tool to assess the severity of tardive dyskinesia in patients exposed to antipsychotic medications; either in clinical studies or medical practice. It is not a diagnostic tool. Items 1 – 7 assess severity of dyskinesia by body region (buccal/oral, extremities, trunk). They are rated on a 5-point scale (0=none; 1=minimal; 2=mild; 3=moderate; 4=severe). Total dyskinesia score is usually defined as the sum of severity scoring for items 1- 7. Items 8 – 10 assess examiner-rated global severity and patient’s awareness of movements and associated distress. Items 11 – 12 are questions concerning problems with teeth and/or dentures.1,2,4
This letter and the enclosed material are provided in response to your unsolicited medical information inquiry. Please feel free to contact Neurocrine Medical Information at (877) 641-3461 or email@example.com if you would like to request additional information.
- Guy W. ECDEU Assessment Manual for Psychopharmacology: Revised (DHEW publication number ADM 76-338).
- Lane RD, Glazer WM, Hansen TE, et al. Assessment of tardive dyskinesia using the Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale. J Nervous Mental Dis. 1985;173(6):353-357.
- Munetz, MR, Benjamin S. How to examine patients using the Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale. Hospital and Community Psychiatry. 1988;39(11):1172-1177.
- Colosimo C, Martinez-martin P, Fabbrini G, et al. Task force report on scales to assess dyskinesia in Parkinson’s disease: critique and recommendations. Mov Disord. 2010;25(9):1131-1142.
- INGREZZA [package insert]. Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc., San Diego, CA; 2017.
- Data on file. Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc. 2017